Hi! Welcome to my blog! Here’s my Ask Me Anything.
1. Q. What’s your story?
A. My name is Shobha. I’m from New York and now living in London. I’m married to a laid-back Englishman who can’t resist the occasional acerbic comment, especially after a glass of wine. We have 2 young children and 1 grumpy older dog. I used to be a lawyer but that wasn’t very creative or conducive to family life.
2. Q. What’s it all about?
A. This blog has had more variations than I’ve had haircuts. I started off writing about home and design and then, along the way, it veered off into other things that interest me – travel, family and art. I’ve now spun off travel onto its own blog (Just Go Places Blog) and am focussing on my other love – good design.
I want to inspire you to try out some of that cool hotel style in your own homes. I assume (like me) you can’t hire these world-renowned interior designers with their unlimited budgets to add some contemporary flair to your place.
The articles will be a combination of contemporary hotels, restaurants, stores reviews and how-to pieces on achieving these looks without the big design budget.
3. Q. What’s your design style?
A. My design style is best described as eclectic. I like contemporary furnishings and period homes. The marriage of these two elements can create the coolest interiors.
- I’m too much of a clutter bug to do minimalism.
- On the other hand, too much clutter drives me bananas so I can’t do English country very well.
- I like colour too much to be a true devotee of Scandinavian style.
- I like touches of industrial design for its clean, geometric lines.
- I like Mid-Century Modern, vintage, shabby chic and ethnic/tribal touches to add warmth and personality to a home.
So what does that create? Eclectic. A little bit of this, and a little bit of that. Inspiration gathered from around the world.
4. Q. Enough about you. What’s in it for me?
Amusement? Inspiration? A little light reading?
5. Q. What’s the connection with highly flammable synthetics?
A. Actually NYLon is an old acronym for NY (where I used to live) and London (where I live now). Technically our U.S. base is now in Massachusetts but MALon sounds too much like an antacid drug.
6. Q. How do I contact you with my questions, suggestions, submissions, incoherent ramblings etc. ?
A. You can contact me at email@example.com. I’m friendly!